How to Clean the Keyboard?Take Action!
When your keyboard becomes dirty and oily, the happiness is instantly halved. Because when you’re in a place like that, watching a great movie or doing something you love can make a big difference in your happiness.
But how to clean the keyboard? It becomes another agonizing problem. ,
Usually, when faced with this situation, we need a few simple steps. Making a plan to help you do it effectively and quickly is better.
Next, you may need this article to help you implement the plan. It will bring you simple yet effective ways.
What are you waiting for? Hurry up and take action!
Why Do You Deed to Clean the Keyboard?
One of the dirty things in your house is the keyboard. Not only are they gross, but they are also bad. They’re bad for your health.
In a study done in 2018, researchers cleaned 25 keyboards and 25 cell phones and looked for germs on the samples.
96% of keyboards were found to have one or more potentially disease-causing bacteria. Bacillus and Staphylococcus bacteria were found on over 80% of the keyboards. And nearly two-thirds of the keyboards had intestinal bacteria.
NOTE:Cell phones are almost as bad!
Given how often we touch the keyboard with our fingers and then put them in our mouths, ears, or eyes, the risk of infection is real. And for people with weak immune systems, the risk is even higher.
Therefore, it is important for your health to clean your laptop and keyboard frequently.
When it comes to the health of your computer, sticky liquids and bits of dust or dirt between or under the keys may mean you have to press harder to get the keys to work.
If you use a mechanical keyboard, you may damage the switches underneath the keys.
How to Clean the Keyboard? – Laptops
The process is the same whether you want to learn how to clean the keyboard on your laptop or an external keyboard. There is also no difference between cleaning a PC keyboard and a MacBook keyboard. Just make sure the computer is turned off.
What you need:
● A brush with soft bristles
● A can of compressed air
● Cleaning slime
● Screen wipes or isopropyl alcohol
● Microfiber cloth
How to do:
Once you have all your supplies, follow these steps to clean your laptop or external keyboard.
- Disconnect all power sources. Turn off the laptop and unplug the computer’s power cord. If you are using an external keyboard, unplug it from the power source. If it is wireless, remove the batteries.
- Place the laptop or keyboard upside down on a trash can and gently shake or tap to remove any large particles.
- Use a soft-bristled laptop cleaning brush to remove any other visible debris between the keys. For best results, tilt the keyboard to one side and then the other during this step.
- Blow compressed air between and under the keys several times to blow out any remaining debris.
- Still needs to be cleaned? Use cleaning goo, cellophane tape, or sticky notes to remove any remaining dust.
- To wipe away these germs, use a screen wipe (or a microfiber cloth slightly moistened with isopropyl alcohol). Gently slide it over the top of the keys and between the keys.
- Dry and polish with a clean microfiber cloth.
How to Clean the Keyboard?–Mechanical Keyboard
Mechanical keyboards have switches made of springs and metal contacts under the removable keycaps. It usually has more space between the keys, which can lead to more debris buildup. Here’s how to clean a mechanical keyboard.
What you need:
● A dedicated key puller (If you don’t have one, you can use a suitable gadget. As long as it can be pulled off.)
● Sealable container
● Isopropyl alcohol
● Cotton swabs
How to do:
For daily cleaning, the steps are the same as for any other keyboard. However, for deeper cleaning, follow these steps.
- Take a picture of the keyboard layout (on a sanitized phone, of course).
- To remove the keycaps, use the tip of a wire keycap extractor, grasp the edge, and lift it vertically upwards.
- Place the keycaps in a sealable container. Add soap solution and fill with hot water. Close the lid, shake the lid to jiggle, and spin the keycaps inside. Let them soak for about half an hour.
- While the keys are soaking, clean around the switches using a cotton swab moistened with isopropyl alcohol.
- Rinse the keycaps and place them in a colander to drain. Then place them on a towel to dry overnight. 6.
- Replace them the next day, referring to the photo you took.
Tackling Stubborn Dirt
If there are spills, stains, or oily residue, you may need to try the following steps:
- Use a microfiber cloth or cotton swab to clean around keys and crevices.
- Soak the cloth or swab in water, but dry them slightly before cleaning them again (they should be just slightly damp – you don’t want any water dripping into the keyboard). If water doesn’t work, use isopropyl alcohol, but use it sparingly to ensure the room is well-ventilated. If you will use alcohol, spray it on a cloth, not directly on the keyboard.
- For stubborn marks or dirt, use a magic eraser. It works like fine sandpaper, so be gentle and don’t use it too often. You can also use a standard pencil eraser to clean up the mess.
- A toothpick can effectively scrape off anything that refuses to move.
- repeat steps 1 and 2 as necessary after removing the dirt.
Can I Use a Sanitizing Product to Clean the Keyboard?
Apple recommends using 70% isopropyl alcohol wipes, 75% ethanol wipes, or Clorox sanitizing wipes to wipe down your Apple product’s hard, gentle, non-porous surfaces, such as the display, keyboard, or other external surfaces.
Bleach and hydrogen peroxide-containing products should not be used.
Avoid exposing any openings to moisture, and do not immerse your Apple product or any other laptop in any cleaning agents.
How Often Should I Clean the Keyboard?
It depends on usage and preference. If you’re the only one who uses the keyboard and you only use it semi-regularly, then once a week is fine.
However, if you share it with others and don’t want to spread germs, it must be cleaned between uses. We all need to remember to clean keyboards, but they carry a lot of germs and should be included in our cleaning routine.
There are many ways to clean the keyboard. So the best method depends on your keyboard’s specific model or tool.
But following the above steps can help you with most of the difficulties. Cleaning your keyboard will not only make it look better but also prevent the spread of germs and give you a healthier environment.